Friday, March 26, 2010

Country Empress

A humble wood box filled to the brim with velvets and silks and lovely chiffon … The ladies in waiting gathered together a gift for their empress. Bottles of beads and tiny wild rose buds are just a few of the things to amuse and delight their Empress while she is in route to her country retreat …




Photobucket

I have a fascination for presentation boxes that were made for the French toy market
from the mid to late 1800. Some were of sweet face dolls with complete wardrobes and toilettes. While others were art kits like
"Fleurs en Papier" (paper flowers) or sewing kits to teach the little French girls their needlework.

I am not lucky enough to own one of these antique delights. So to satisfy my yearning I decided to arrange some of
my treasured bits into a presentation box.
I have a collection of antique and vintage ribbons and it was here that I made my first selections. I decided on blue and cream ribbons made of velvet, chiffon and satin.
The beautiful blues inspired the title The Country Empress.




Keeping in mind the idea of country I picked an oak wood box and lined the inside with a golden bronze colored silk.
To the flap I added vintage jewelry, an old pair of scissor and a small vintage key.
Wild rose buds were picked in June and dried and placed in small bottles,
vintage beads filled three other tiny bottles. The ivory colored folded paper on
the sides holds the tiny bottles in place and provides a pocket to tuck Dresden gold paper cones.
 

I added a vintage perfume bottle filled with German glass glitter, spools of gold colored thread and a brass Marie Antoinette charm.


The cherry on top so to speak is a hand dyed dove that I found on etsy .
I spent many hours looking for just the right items to include in this presentation box.I wanted this particular box to be very special so it was important that I did not rush the process. “The box of one hundred hours”, was what my family began to called it, was often found on the dining room table with lace and bits scattered about competing to find a place inside this humble oak box.…
In the end I think it is quite fitting for the Country Empress to take along on her journey ....


My hope is that it will become a family heirloom with it’s own story to tell….The story of the pretty little box and the one hundred hours…




----A gift for you----
for personal use only
This postcard was also an inspiration for the Country Empress.

*****Travel box was completed in July of 2008*****
Published in Somerset Life Sping 2010

20 comments:

LiLi M. said...

What a beautiful story Louise and your photos are even better than those in Somerset Life. The box of a hundred hours now isn't that gorgeous? I love that you took the time to make this something exquisite, something as beautiful as possible. You set your goal high and you achieved it. Of course the Country Empress box of more than a 100 hours will be a joy for years and generations to come. Today the fashion is to produce a lot in as little time as possible, blog as much as possible, this is quite the contrary and there for it has old fashioned quality. I must set myself this goal too, once. Thanks for inspiration, have a lovely weekend and enjoy being published again!

Betzie said...

Congrats Louise!!! How wonderful and your box is just so so gorgeous and I hope it finds a worthy home. I love the details and the time you put into it...exquisite as always!!!
I would love to live close to you so we could go treasure hunting together! Happy creating always...

Fete et Fleur said...

I'm speechless, Louise! Everything in your beautiful box made me melt and silly me . . . brought tears to my eyes. Our culture is mising out on so much. We need to return to the time honored days of producing quality items. I'm so glad they decided to publish it.

Congratulations my dear!

Nancy

Lou said...

Congratulations Louise on having this wonderful box published in Life... My subscription just arrived in the mail and I was so taken with your beautiful box.. that I had to look up your blog immediately!:) I love the color scheme.. teal/aqua is one of my absolute favorite colors too! Must go with the name... lol.. I am a Louise too...
Off to read more of your beautiful blog now..
Lou xx

bluemuf said...

Louise, what a beautiful and elegant box. It is definately fit for an Empress.

All your little boxes are going to be precious family heirlooms

Hugs Karen

Sommers Breeze Antiques said...

Oh...I just adore all of this! It inspires me to step outside the box! Beautiful!

rochambeau said...

Oh WOW!!!!

HOW lovely Louise! Your Presentation Box is Perfection in every sense of the word! You made "The humble wooden box" fit for a the Country Empress or any fine Queen.

Each object has it's special place and tells a story for the viewer to interpret in their own way. The precious dried rose buds, the petit scissors, all objects you chose, and the color pallet, M A G N I F I Q U E! I appreciate your work so much. AND YOU!!

Thank's for sharing the photos as we live 1 hour away from Barnes and Noble.

Happy Easter to you and your family!
Will you have a "hunt for the girls?

xox
Constance

LiLi M. said...

Ah to enjoy sheer perfection once more...sigh...
But I'm here to wish you and your family a happy Easter Louise, I do hope you enjoy yourselves very much!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm your newest follower...

loved your article in somerset life, great job!

come by and see me too sometime

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm your newest follower...

loved your article in somerset life, great job!

come by and see me too sometime

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Adrienne said...

Congrats on the publication! The box is gorgeous.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Louise, it's absolutely gorgeous. What an exquisite treasure!
Congratulations on publication!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!
How gorgeous,Louise i am blown away it is too beautiful..... congratulations to you,you must be thrilled!
Thank you my friend for your comment on my recent post,it is so appreciated,the little one should arrive in November and i can not wait to be auntie titty again hehe! thank you so much again x
Love to you and blessings to your family,
Kisses Kristina XxX

Seacrow said...

Oh my, this is so lovely, Louise! I may spend the entire weekend gathering bits to try to create one of my own. Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration!

rochambeau said...

Came back to see your work again Louise.
Hope this article will bring you great things!!! Special orders and more!!

xox
Constance

Betzie said...

Hi Louise!
Just stopped by to look at your wonderful box again....it always inspires me. Hope all is well and I hope your sweet Sagely had or will have a wonderful birthday party!!! I hope you took/take photos!!! Betzie

Tia said...

Beautiful... just beautiful... and I am so pleased that it's published for you :) Seriously, it's beyond stunning...
xox

Zuzu's Blog said...

Oh that is beautiful.... you have done yourself proud, and i cant think of a creative person who wouldnt want to own that.. well done

Chrisy said...

A glorious inspiring piece of work...

Altered Annie said...

...so lovely, I want to look at it and let my mind wander on all the possibilities it holds.